The mission of Idaho Steelhead and Salmon Unlimited is to restore Idaho’s wild salmon and steelhead runs to healthy, self-sustaining, and harvestable levels while protecting and enhancing recreational fishing opportunities for current and future generations.
The members and supporters of ISSU share basic values and beliefs that drive our organizational efforts. They are that ……
- Idaho’s wild steelhead and salmon are one of Nature’s most unique and remarkable creatures, and as such have an inherent right to thrive and endure.
- wild salmon and steelhead are iconic symbols of Idaho’s historic, cultural, and recreational heritages that provide healthy, family-oriented pastimes that must be preserved.
- removing the four obsolete, fish killing dams on the lower Snake River is essential for recovering Idaho’s wild salmon and steelhead.
- sportsmen and anglers are, and should be, the best proponents and advocates for wild salmon and steelhead recovery to harvestable self-sustaining levels.
- advocates must use all avenues available, including collaboration, direct advocacy, education, and litigation to protect and restore wild salmon and steelhead.
To restore healthy, self-sustaining runs of wild salmon and steelhead in Idaho – and to protect and enhance opportunities for Idaho anglers to enjoy the fisheries — Idaho Steelhead and Salmon Unlimited will work to accomplish the following strategic objectives:
- secure the removal of the four federal dams on the lower Snake River.
- educate Idaho fishermen and Idaho’s political leaders about the importance of wild salmon and steelhead runs in Idaho, and the need to restore wild fish rather than depend on hatcheries for meeting future angling needs.
- until the lower Snake River dams are removed, work to secure river operations (i.e. dam spills and stream flows) that will increase wild salmon and steelhead, as well as provide enhanced fishing opportunities for hatchery fish.
- develop cooperative community-oriented recreational, infrastructure, and river access programs that enhance the enjoyment of Idaho fishing opportunities and preserve river health.
- collaborate and work in partnership with other organizations that share our objectives.
- promote economic benefits of restored wild salmon and steelhead runs to the communities of Idaho.